Thursday, July 31, 2008

7-23 Day 5 in the Galapagos

5:15 am

For dinner last night we had a piece of salmon, unfortunately I could not enjoy the desert though. I opted for some fruit. We talked for a bit and then played a little more 31. We were asleep by 10pm or so for our early departure. I feel like I am wearing the same clothe, or maybe it is just that all my clothes are a bit salty from the air that gives everything the feeling of being dirty. So I woke up this morning, said goodbye to the beach of Isabella, am boarding the bus now for the 2.5 hour return boat ride to Santa Cruz. I did manage to score some fresh sweet bread from the bakery for a snack before we go.

10:00 am

We are stopping for breakfast now, the ferry ride was another long three hours, I sat in the back and was soaked. There was no sunrise to day, it seemed like it basically went from dark to light. Behind the boat, the water shot up like an exploding volcano of water. I will miss the Island of Isabella. The lave tube, and being in the water with the Marine Iguanas swimming over head. The ride back was rough, we had a person get sea sick again.

The name of the town was Puerta Villa Mil on Isabella.

Larry suggested I listen to Jordan Rudess, he was the keyboard player for Dream Theater, Liquid Tenyson, Brand X.

11:45 am

The port we are at on Santa Cruz is Puerto Ayora. I did a little shopping and went to the fish market where the pelicans eagerly awaited scraps. The men right outside the restaurant were hard at work on a cool mini park. A large wind mill powered an old fashioned farm water spout, the kind with the big handle for well water. The spout would spew water into a wading pool to fill 3 levels of fountain with water that on each level had cactus plants. It was quite beautiful.

4:10 pm

This afternoon we saw Lonesome George He is the last tortoise of his species. Apparently 2 days ago they found a nest of eggs. He mated with a tortoise that is 96% the same species as him and there were 3 viable eggs. In 120 days we will see how many hatch. At that time maybe he will have a few offspring. At 6pm we will meet again to go to the Encantada.

7:45 pm

We are on the Encantada. We got to the boat around 6pm. As soon as we were settles, I jumped in the water. There is nothing better than that late afternoon swim, when the cool air makes the water feel that much warmer. We hung for a bit before a dinner of grilled tuna and potatoes. We discussed the next day’s itinerary and then went our separate ways. Perhaps I can organize a card game tonight, share the game of 31 that I have just learned. So I went on deck for a few minutes and there were boats everywhere. There is a little cloud cover, so it is tough to see the stars. I can’t wait, tomorrow we will swim with sharks and sea lions. I can’t wait, Floriana, here we come!!!

No comments: