Friday, May 30, 2008

Brave Souls

Early in the morning.
Five AM exactly.
A time I did not know,
Now occurs all every day
The crust in the corner
of my eyes. The weakness
in everyone of my bones.
I can't move a muscle.
I drag myself out of
bed. Why am I doing
This? I need more sleep. I
struggle to pull on my
shorts and sweats. I must be
very quiet. I don't want to wake my roommate.
It is still dark outside
as I start my car's engine.
That radio blasts. The
noise wakes me. I put the
car into reverse, then
drive. I go to the field
house and join me fellow
brave souls on the crew team.
We wait for our coach in
the freezing cold. We car-
pool to Coventry
Lake and meet in the boat
house. Coach picks a leader
to guide us through warm up.
It isn't much later than
five thirty and I am
wide awake. Why? Why do
I do this to myself?
Positions are assigned.
Port rig, seat number five.
Here I'm just a number
The coxswain commands us,
"Hands on the Devlin. Lift
and low over head now.
Now walk her out. Wain off.
Turn and down to the shoulders.
Now walk her to the beach."
The freezing cold makes my
naked legs petrified.
The rocks pound into the
souls of my bare feet with
the weight of the Devlin.
The eight members of the
Devlin crew walk her down
into the water. Again
the coxswain commands "Roll
to waist and roll, starboards,
one foot on the strip and
in. Ports, one foot on the
strip and in. Stroke one foot
on the strip and in. Bow
push off and in. Stroke and
two, a few strokes to get
us out and go. Now lets
all tie in and count off.
Stroke, two, three, four, five, six,
seven, bow." Now we all
join in and row through the
fog. The sun begins to
rise. The fog begins to
lift. The familiar
scent of a steam room
fills the brisk morning air.
The cold air and water
make my bones shiver and
shake. Why am I doing
this? We are rowing at
a full slide and at full
power. Adrenaline
flow through my every vein.
Wind in my hair. The boats
move through the fog like ghost
ships of ancient lore. The
sun breaks the horizon
and the sky turns blue. The
visions of life are now
unearthed. The shore seems so
distant, yet I still feel so
close. I feel so secure.
This is what I have been
searching for. The light of
the sun giving life to
the world all around us.
The meaning of life? Sun
rise on Coventry Lake.

No comments: